Thursday, February 14, 2013

Homeschooling would be so much easier

Well that is if my daughter and I could actually get the work done without one of us throttling the other.  She gets so pissy when I do extra work with her that it's almost entertaining.  Almost but not quite.  I'm sure to anyone else looking in on the whole mess it's quite hilarious.  For me not so much.  It makes me want to open a bottle of wine and go hide for awhile. 

What brings up the topic of homeschooling?  Princess Bear (PB) is sick again.  It's been going on for a week and a half.  She keeps on running a low grade temp that never really goes away.  She's also been very tired and her color is just bad.  I took her to the Dr. today.  I asked the nurse Diane to put some Emla cream on PB's arm since I was pretty sure he'd send her to the lab for blood tests.  The same child who was cackling with glee when I got several vials of blood drawn yesterday wasn't so thrilled when it was her turn.  The Dr. was a bit worried about the size of her thyroid.  He did say that her liver is not enlarged so even if the Gilbert's syndrome is acting up because she's not feeling well that she's hydrated enough that it isn't bothering the kidney.  I was very thankful to hear that.  The Dr. also decided to check for mono, lupus and a few other things.  I hope to have some results back by Friday.  The Dr. wants me to keep her home the rest of this week and perhaps part of next week.  I know her teacher will poop bricks sideways when she hears this.  Frankly it isn't a thrill a minute for me to have a sick kiddo home.  I can pretty much count on staying home and trying to keep her entertained while still doing some school work.  Not exactly a thrill a minute.  The Dr. just really wants to make sure that she's hydrated enough, getting enough rest and not exposed to anyone that is sick since she wouldn't be able to fight off anything right now. 

While there are times that I dread sending my daughter to school I know it's the best thing so I do it.  I know that I can't wrap her up in a little cocoon and keep her home safe and sound.  That said I'm also not sending her when it's not in her best interest.  The school gets very pissy when kids have extended absences because at some point that have to provide in home tutoring.  I'm hoping it doesn't come down to that. I've been picking up PB's work from school and helping her with it.  I don't want her to fall behind and for the most part it hasn't been too bad.  It just reminds me that there is no way that we could actually homeschool on a full time basis.  No way no how. 

I'm keeping my fingers crossed and hoping that this is just some random virus that PB is having a tough time fighting off.  Will post more as I find out what is going on.  Have a good one. 

No comments: