Monday, December 1, 2014

Thanksgiving 2014

Well, our Thanksgiving plans were kind of flushed down the toilet because I was (and still am) totally sick.  I felt so bad that my dad didn't go spend Thanksgiving with his family.  Several of my great aunts are in pretty fragile health and I did try to convince my folks to go to Chicago for the day. My mom wasn't having any of that.  My mom also did do a great job of throwing together a traditional Thanksgiving feast in less than 24 hours.  Princess Bear (PB) was very upset because my mom didn't make her favorite jello but all things considered my mom did a smashing job!

Sickness has also invaded my sisters house.  She, my brother in law and nephews all have pneumonia.  Since we're leaving for Disney so soon we didn't want to visit with them and share the germs.  My oldest nephew had his friends birthday party cancelled a few weeks ago and his family party was cancelled this past weekend since none of use could come.  He handled the disappointment so well and I'm so proud of him for it. I did promise to take him to lunch at Red Robin when I get back from Florida.  Btw- what is it with kids and Red Robin?  My nephews and daughter love the place.  I just don't get it.

I wound up at Prompt care on Friday because I was still hacking up a lung and my face was literally swollen on one side from my sinus infection. My Dr. had the nerve to take Friday off and none of the other Dr.s in the practice had any openings.  My advice is unless you have one foot in the grave avoid Prompt care the day after a holiday!  The Dr. was nice enough but you could tell he'd had one hell of a day.  He was very sure I had the flu.  Thank G-d I don't!  He decided that switching antibiotics was the best thing to try.  I'm still running a constant temp and hacking up a lung so off to my Dr. I go tomorrow.  I really need to feel better like now since I still have a ton of stuff to do to get ready for vacation.

On Saturday Princess Bear started sneezing and coughing which is how this whole mess started with me.  Saturday night when she laid down for bed she started hacking really badly so I had her spend the night sleeping in a recliner in our living room.  Having her propped up helped some.  Yesterday she started running a temp and I started to panic.  When she gets sick she gets very sick and stays that way.   I called the Dr's answering service hoping that her pediatrician might be on call.  No such luck there.  They had a triage nurse call me.  The nurse explained that the Dr on call never gives antibiotics over the phone although in her opinion it wouldn't have hurt to start PB on a round of antibiotics.  I was ready to call the pediatrician at home.  No I don't do it often but honestly can't fathom what would have happened if I couldn't get her started on antibiotics to nip this in the bud.  The triage nurse decided to bump an appointment and put PB in that slot.  Gotta love it when you deal with awesome, helpful medical people!  Not having to get PB up for school at the crack of dawn probably helped too.  She slept in big time today.  Sure enough the Dr said she had a sinus infection and bronchitis.   Enter the augmentin and a side of probiotics.

So that is the story here.  Now I'm off to hopefully sleep like a normal person since I haven't been doing that well lately.  See ya on the flip side.

No comments: