Saturday, July 23, 2011

Again- Fall how I love you!

Ok- I know that this is a status update thats going around Facebook like wildfire


I was going to complain about the heat, but 1) It isn't 109 degrees. 2) I'm not 5,700 miles from home. 3) I'm not dressed in a full BDU uniform and helmet while carrying 70+ lbs. 4) There is very little chance that anyone will shoot at me or that I might drive over a bomb in the road today. Thank you to all who serve.


And I COMPLETELY agree with the sentiment behind it. Honestly since my days of working for the Navy as a civilian I have had a HUGE amount of respect for our men and women in the armed forces. Actually it was probably before my Great Lakes days that attitude was firmly implanted. I often have issues with whatever President happens to be serving at that time but I ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS have the upmost resprect for those serving in the military; especially for those deployed. I know deployment is often a very lousy time for those serving. I also will NEVER understand those who give service members a hard time because they don't agree with X war or Y conflict. They are doing what they were ordered to do. Nothing more nothing less. Its their job just as your job is whatever it its. I'm willing to bet you don't always agree with what your boss wants you to do.

Anyway back to the Facebook status while I really do understand the sentiment and am incredibly thankful to those serving I also really don't want to feel like I'm a wimp or a heartless wretch because I'm longing for cooler weather. I love fall. If you've followed my blog for awhile its pretty evident that Fall is my favorite season. I love everything that goes along with Fall. The back to school preparations, the harvest and all that goes along with it (hopefully some sort of putting by food this year!) and the upcoming cooler weather. I love and really miss bonfires. Man its been a LONG time since I've been to a good bonfire. There is something about still wearing shorts and a sweatshirt and sitting with your favorite drink by a raging bonfire. Right now I'm having a flashback to a bonfire I went to my freshman year of college and I decided to "feed" the bonfire from my bottle of vodka. I will never say that common sense prevails especially when drinking! The bonfire was at my friend Devin's house (actually his parents house) and they lived out in the country in Pekin and owned a bar in town. That meant we had a great source for alcohol and lots of land to enjoy. Unfortunately the police in Pekin are real a**holes. Seriously- ask anyone who grew up around here! Anyway, at the said bonfire I was all of 18 (and had just turned 18 a few weeks into my freshman year thanks to a late birthday) and was drunk as a skunk. For some reason I thought splashing vodka in the fire was great fun and Devin has never been able to tell me no. Next thing I know I see the flashing red & blue lights announcing the police arrival. Most of the attendants of the bonfire took off running into the woods. Whether I was stupid, drunk or a combination thereof I just casually put my bottle down and stood there. The police came up and talked to Devin and then asked me a few questions. One of the officers actually thanked me for not running and told me that I should just head home. Um ok sir. Yes my drunk happy ass drove home. Not intelligent and definitely something I hope I wouldn't do now.

Ok- now that you've shared a walk down memory lane with me lets go back to my love of fall. Yesterday Princess Bear (PB) and I were in HyVee grabbing a few things. I love HyVee because they also carry some magazines that aren't carried at too many other locations like Country, Country Extra and Farm & Ranch Living. The new copy of Country Sampler is out and full of Fall decorating ideas and whatnot. Yes I was all a twitter! I was reading Farm & Ranch Living and there was a picture of this gorgeous front porch that was decorated for fall & I was in love! I want that front porch. You know the one- rockers with a table inbetween so you can put your glass of lemonade or sweet tea on it. Some random pumpkins placed about and Halloween decor decorating the front of the house.

I'm actually making a couple of decorated notebooks for a few different purposes. I'm going to start a gratitude journal. How can you not be more appreciative when you are finding something to be grateful for daily? I'm also doing an Awws & Ah's Inspiration notebook. It will most likely contain various quotes I find inspiring and pictures like this porch that remind me of my future dreams. Also pictures of just flat out adorable things. If you read First (for Women) magazine the last few pages that are typically cute animal pics are the kind of thing I'm talking about. Things I can look at and smile. Just like the picture I printed that has the picture of the boxer sitting in the drivers seat of a car with the caption reading "FINE! I'll drive myself to the dog park" OK- imagine that and tell me you aren't laughing!!!

Ok I'm so kind I just went and found the pic (and a few other for you!). Enjoy! Smile! Hell- give a giggle! :)

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

No comments: