Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Is fighting the school going to be my lot in life?

Things have been going fairly well at school with a couple of glitches.  Unfortunately the glitches are not of the tiny variety.  The biggest one being an issue with Princess Bears (PB) adaptive PE teacher.  I really do like the lady.  It just seems as though any time there is any sort of issue and PB cannot participate in PE, even with a Doctors note, the teacher gets pissy.  Sorry there is no other way to put it.  2 years ago PB severely sprained her ankle and was on crutches for a couple of weeks.  During that time and a week after her Dr. didn't want her participating in PE.  I think that's pretty reasonable.  Nope, this woman tried every day to get PB it participate in some manner.  I finally had to have her homeroom teacher just send her to the library while the rest of the class went to PE.  The issue we're having now is with dodgeball.  A few weeks ago PB was hit hard enough in the face during dodgeball that her glasses came off and she had bruising.  It is very clearly presented in PBs IEP that she must be very, very careful of her eyes at all times.  Her left eye doesn't focus until her right eye does.  So, if anything happens to and damages her right eye she will essentially be blind.  This is a very serious matter.  After the whole dodgeball incident a few weeks ago I talked with PB's opthamologist and he decided anytime there is any kind of balls in the air PB should not be playing.  It just isn't worth the risk.  He wrote a lovely letter explaining (again) the issue PB has with her eyes and why the parameters need  to be followed.  Last week PB's class was back to playing dodge ball.  I about completely lost my shit.  Her home room teacher acknowledged receiving the Drs note and giving it to the PE teacher.  I tried to call PBs coordinator on Monday and today.  This evening I received the following letter from PBs PE teacher:


Hi Sarah,  I understand you have concerns about PB playing dodgeball in PE class.  I also got a letter form the Doctor.  
I want you to be assured student safety is always my number 1 consideration when planning activities for Adapted Physical Activities.  I do not feel dodgeball is any more dangerous than the any other activities and I believe it is safe for PB.  She loves to play and is very good at it as well.  In fact she is one of the more physically capable students in the class. 
 We use soft foam balls and students throw from a good distance.  It incorporates many skills, one of which is how to avoid getting hit by the ball. This involves paying attention and moving out of the way., keeping yourself safe.   Catching, throwing, teamwork and fitness are also involved.
With that being said, I will not allow her to play as you request. We don't play very often so she will not miss much of PE time. 
If you ever have concerns about PE please contact me. The classroom teachers can relay messages but may not be able to respond on specific matters.

Thanks,  Sue


Ok- let's go over what's not ok about this.

1) if foam balls are being used how did my daughter get hit hard enough in the face to have her glasses knocked off and have bruising?  
2) you received a letter from a students Dr. explaining why they couldn't participate in something and then you still had them participate.  That is not indicative of someone who is worried about my daughters safety.

Her email was very nice and she did a good job CYA.  I get that she has to do that.  I also get that if she continues to disregard a Drs note or not insure my daughters safety that the shit is really going to hit the fan.  

So am I overreacting or not?  What do you think? 

No comments: