Monday, December 9, 2013

Seriously feeling icky

The last few weeks have seen Princess Bear (PB) and I suffering from various illnesses.  PB has been on 3 rounds of antibiotics and a round of prednisolone.  I really hate having her on so much "stuff".  I've been trying to amp up her immune system by using probiotics daily and elderberry supplements.  I really need to fine a decent source of organic dried elderberry because buying Sambucol is getting really expensive!  My kidney infection was followed up by finding out that I have a kidney stone.  The Dr. decided to let it be since having surgery to retrieve it would most likely cause too much damage to an already damaged kidney.  I'm completely ok with not having surgery.  I don't like it when I move or lay a certain way and I have stabbing pain but it's still got to be better than surgery and possibly destroying my kidney.  I've also been fighting a major respiratory infection.  Major antibiotics, neti pot and cough syrup with codeine.  I can say that it has helped me sleep!  I would just like to be able to catch a deep breathe!  The Dr has me using my emergency inhaler every 4 hours.  My nephews, sister and brother in law have also had serious ick.  We were supposed to do Thanksgiving at there house but the day before my sister was so sick she cancelled.  Fine with me in that I didn't see the point in sharing the germs.  A bummer in that I had a ton of Thanksgiving crafts and games for the kids to do.  My mom was able to scramble and put together a Thanksgiving dinner for the four of us.  Things were going well until the furnace decided to die late afternoon on Thanksgiving day.  It was the second time that week the furnace died.  Seriously not cool.  Actually very cool since Illinois is seeing damn near record lows here but not cool in that do you have any idea how hard it is to get a service man to come out on Thanksgiving?!!!?  PB was so layered up and just vegging out in front of my space heater.  It was kind of cute watching her.  Around 7pm the service guy finally showed up.  I was oh so thankful for that! 
 
I started running a temp again the middle of last week and was down and out sick by Friday.  My parents stepped up and filled in since PB had a few different activities this past weekend.  My mom bitched about it A LOT which is kind of sad considering how much PB enjoyed what she considered PB and grandparent time".  Friday night was the Christmas party for the kids who do horseback riding therapy.  She had a ball and loved dressing up.  Yesterday was the Caterpillar Holiday show.  Every year there is a different theme and this year was a laser light show.  After the show Santa and Mrs Claus are there for a meet and greet with the kids.  PB still believes in Santa and was very excited to give him her list.  I had spent a ton of time on Pinterest and came up with dozens of templates/stationary for Santa letters.  It was a great activity for PB to practice her "neat" writing. 

I can say that while being sick has been a serious bummer it has allowed me a chance to be rather productive.  I've been a busy bee working on Christmas cards and a Christmas letter.  I was having a hard time with a Christmas letter until once again Pinterest came to the rescue.  I love it when something just comes together!  I've also done a TON of reading.  I knocked out the just released Janet Evanovich Stephanie Plum novel in a day.  Several romance books and a few books on herbs and body recipes.    I'm really hoping to get rid of this dang respiratory infection soon because there is way too much going on with the holidays coming up!  Both my nephews have their holiday concerts this week.  PB has a talent show at school in 2 weeks.  She and her classmates are doing a routine to Thriller.  I'm so sick of hearing the song from helping her practice but it will be so cute do see the kids perform!  So, I'm going to go clean the house and then take a nap! 

No comments: