Monday, April 8, 2013

My little girl is growing up way too fast

Princess Bear (PB) returned to school today.  It was a very nice spring break and I hope she had a lot of fun.  This weekend was so beautiful out and we took full advantage of it.  On Saturday we went to the zoo which is always a guaranteed hit.  The cherry on top was that it was Princess & Pirate Day.  The girls were all given bead necklaces entering the zoo if they were dressed like a princess.   My parents have a grandparent's membership so we were able to forgo waiting in line and get right down to having fun.  I think the most exciting part for her was the face painting.  I guess an advantage of going with the grandparents because I don't think I'd pay $12 for face painting.  She loved it though.   There was also a station to make and decorate a tiara or eye patch.  Another to walk the plank and a digging for treasure spot.  After spending a couple of hours at the zoo we then ran from one end of town to the other and back.  OK, not really but that's what it felt like.  The last stop was to visit Mary Jean (she was our neighbor and like a great grandmother to PB).  She had been in the hospital with a pretty severe infection resulting from surgery to fix a broken hip.  My mom works at the hospital she was admitted to and came home that day saying how bad Mary looked.  It really scared my mom and therefore the rest of us.  Mary has been such a big part of our lives for so long.  Thankfully she is recovering and was released to her nursing home into the infirmary.  She still isn't quite herself but she's up, talking and eating so I'm hoping soon this will be just a faded memory.  Then we had a family dinner of many of PB's favorite foods.  I swear the child could eat her body weight in asparagus! 

Sunday I let her sleep in since that is such a rarity.  She had Sunday school and we went to 11am mass with my friend Susie and her kids.  All in all the kids behaved pretty well.   Susie's kids have always been so wonderfully accepting of PB and it's so nice for her social circle to expand a bit!  Unfortunately after we got home from church we had a bit of a blip in the happy radar.  My parents were having an all out fight.  I have no idea what happened but we walked into a mess.  My parents realized how much they were upsetting PB and decided to calm down and spend some grandparent time with her.  They went to DQ to get blizzards and then headed to their favorite bird watching spot about a 1/2 hour upriver from here.  Then they took her shopping.  The child is growing like a weed and is now 5'1".  She came home with new clothes, shoes and pj's.

 PB until 2 years ago has always LOVED school.  Not just liked it but really loved it.   Not so much the last 2 years.  She was not looking forward to going back today.  It really breaks my heart.  Thankfully getting her up this morning was no problem whatsoever.  What a huge blessing in and of itself!  I walked into the kitchen a few minutes after she woke up and she had grabbed some granola & milk and was happily watching the Disney channel while eating breakfast.  The only glitch this morning was that she wanted to wear the tiara she made at the zoo.  She finally settled for wearing her pink cowboy boots.  It was quite the look.  Khaki uniform skort, red polo & pink boots.  Some things just aren't worth the hassle.  It made her happy so I decided to just go with it. 

I picked her up a bit early from school because she had her first speech session with Sue.  Sue has been doing PB's cookie swallow tests since she was 3 weeks old.  We'd tried getting PB into Sue for speech therapy before but they were too backlogged.  Sue is retiring in August and she finally has a free enough schedule to see PB once a week.  Sue is so incredibly good at what she does and so patient with kids.  I'm beyond thrilled that she has room in her schedule to see PB.  It was a really great first session and she sent us home with some exercises.  I'm really hoping that this is a positive thing for PB. 

Now as I sit here and type PB is yawning (at 7:55pm!!!) and watching dancing with the Stars.  She is anxiously waiting for Zendaya to dance and then it will be off to bed for her.  I'm so proud of the girl she's becoming.  This week is a field trip for her to visit the middle school that she will be going to next year.  Where has the time gone?  What happened to the little girl that started going to TJ at 3 years old?  It's a struggle to watch her when the sands of time are flying by and she is growing and maturing at a speed that I can't comprehend at times.  Sometimes I crave for her to be the little girl who was completely happy sitting in mommy's lap reading and cuddling.  I guess I'll just be happy to watch her grow and mature and be glad when she still wants to hold my hand- when it fits her mood. 

No comments: