Friday, July 25, 2014

Technology tether

I will admit that a big majority of the time I am a technology junkie.  I love my smart phone and use it often.  I'll even admit if it was broken, lost or otherwise not accessible I would be a seriously unhappy camper.  All of that said I will also admit that it is still a convenience and there are times I willingly cut the cord so to speak.  Yesterday was one of those days that I decided to do a voluntary cord cut if you will.  You would not believe the reactions that happen when people can't get hold of you instantly.  My sister called to ask me something.  First words out of her mouth were "Do you know that your phone is rolling right to voicemail?"  Now I'm sure that she was trying to be helpful in case I didn't know that it was happening and perhaps my voicemail box was full.  Its just the fact that there was no "Hi.  How are you".  The next instance was from Princess Bears (PB) best friend.  Now I've mentioned before that more times than not this little girl rubs me the wrong way.  Perhaps this will give a bit of a glimpse into why.  I answered the house phone and this little girl is on the other end.  Here is how the conversation went.

Sarah "Hello?"
Little Girl (LG) "My mom text you and you haven't text back!" said in a very accusing manner.
Sarah "My phone is off.  I haven't gotten the text yet. Sorry"
LG "What are we doing today?"
Sarah "I don't think it can work today.  I have OT, we have to pick up PB's grandmother from work and PB has her school and horseback riding therapy today"
LG "So PB can't do anything today?"
Sarah "No LG I don't think it will work today"
Little girl then hangs up. 






OK let's take this from the top. 
- Little girl probably should have left this phone call to her mother that said she didn't.
-Little girl should have said "Hello Sarah.  How are you today?  Did you get my mom's text?"  That would have probably helped the way I perceived the entire phone call in a much better way. 
-One should always say goodbye.



Am I not being fair in my assessment of this phone call?  As I said this little girl drives me up the wall and her parents tend to try to use her special needs as a way of explaining her behavior.  I don't quite by in on that one.  I think she's a little girl who says whatever comes to her mind without filter.  A few times I've even asked her why she says things and she gets upset with me but won't answer.  That isn't a case of special needs then. 




I was discussing this phone call with my friend Renee and saying how much I like this girls mom but the kid just makes me crazy.  She reminded me that I have to take the good with the bad.  True enough.  I will also try to make it a learning experience for my child.  If I ever hear her being rude on the phone like that it will be a long time before she is allowed to use the phone again. 

It also taught me that perhaps I need to have even more voluntary cut the cord times from my cell.  I do it at home under the guise of whoever can leave a message and I'll get back to them.  I think it's time to start looking at my cell in the same light.  There is no rule that I have to be accessible 24 hours a day.  What to you think? 

No comments: