Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Galvanized Container gardening & random thoughts

Well, while I give the sun credit for still shining (and my overall mood really appreciates it) once again the Midwest is experiencing bitterly cold temps.  This artic vortex stuff needs to stop!!!  I don't want to even wander outside to fill the bird feeders (not to worry.  I'm sucking it up and feeding the birds).  I guess a few days of temps in the 40's completely spoiled me!  On the upside of things today was a sleep in day.  The car had to go back to the shop so I dropped it off last night.  They needed the car all day to work on it and Princess Bear (PB) was scheduled for a 1/2 day at school and no after school activities.  It seemed like a nice day to let her play hookey.  Then she came home from school and told me that they watched Brother Bear in class.  The dumb a$$ teacher couldn't even make it 2 weeks without reverting to her old habits of not teaching the kids.  Yep, if you can't tell I'm a bit pissed.  So to get my mind off of things I went to an old standby.  Pinterest.  It's a playground.  A very very very addictive online playground! 

Wait!  Backtrack a little bit.  I first looked to see if I could find an online tutorial that was first published in Mary Jane's Farm Magazine a few years ago.  It was the first time I'd seen someone use a water trough as a self watering garden bed.  AWESOME!!!!!  Unfortunately I could not find that tut but I found a blogger that based their trough garden on it.  You can read about their experiences HERE AND HERE (an update).
Another gardening used some galvanized containers to do a garden sculpture.  You can see that one HERE.  I really do want to try the galvanized troughs for some blueberry bushes and raspberry canes.  Gotta check into that one.  I'm also all about self watering containers.  As much as I'm not liking the artic temps we're dealing with right now I'm not a fan of the 100* temps that we'll have in July and August.  I'm more of a temperate kinda gal.  Keep things in the 70's and 80's in the summer & I'd be happy!  I hate going outside and feeling like I've run smack dab into a wall of heat and humidity!    Below are a  few more galvanized container ideas to get your creative juices flowing.  Enjoy!



 photo blog3_zps00220dbe.jpg  photo blog6_zps9836d731.jpg  photo blog5_zps35e438b5.jpg  photo blog4_zps243902e5.jpg  photo blog1_zpse992ec60.jpg 
  photo blog2_zps548bb5c6.jpg

No comments: