Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Take a chill pill or listen to Rammstein and get ready to kick a$$

The title of tonight's post actually sums up what my Facebook status is right now.  I have Princess Bear's (PB) IEP meeting at school tomorrow.  I'm not sure if I should take an atavan and try to chill out or start listening to Rammstein and get ready to just go in and kick a$$.  I'm as ready as I can possibly be.  I have my concerns typed up to give the coordinator.  I have a list of changes I want implemented typed and ready to go as well as some general questions.  I have the documentation I need to provide ready.  I'm just not sure the best way of playing it.  I don't want to loss my cool but I don't want to get run over either.  I'm so sick and tired of fighting for services that my daughter needs and deserves.

There is also the small fact that I feel like death warmed over that isn't helping anything.  I have another acute sinus infection.  It's so bad that part of my face is literally swollen.  I don't feel well and I'm not a happy camper.  It's putting a damper on keeping my cool.

Someone asked if I concerned homeschooling PB.  Yes I have.  Often.  I spend a ton of times on the weekend and most of the summer supplementing what PB has been taught at school.  It also makes me a bit fearful of homeschooling PB fulltime.  We tend to butt heads big time.  I don't know if it's a lack of patience or our personalities.  She gets frustrated and I get frustrated.  Not a good thing.  I'll have to put some thought into why I think it happens and what I think I can do to help alleviate the tension and frustration. 

That said I must confess that it makes me angry that for my daughter to truly get the education she deserves that it seems I have to home school her.  Why in the world do we have an education system that isn't fulfilling their end of the deal?  I understand that ultimately my daughters education is up to me.  That is why I do supplement what she does at school. That's why I spend a minor fortune (that I really don't have) to pay for her tutor.  It just pisses me off more than I can possibly express that the education system is so broken and so little is being done about it.  I can go into these IEP meetings yearly and fight until I'm blue in the face and then a bit more.  Very little changes. 

I know some people might be of the mindset that these are special needs kids we're talking about here so what does it really matter?  Why put the money into the education for these kids.  I hate that everything comes down to money.  That said I will also say if you want to put in all on money doesn't it make more sense to spend the money on these kids when they are younger?  Teach them as much as possible including some life skills.  Get them as far as they can go.  It would probably save money on group homes or institutions in the long run. 

No comments: