Monday, January 13, 2014

My kid really is a trooper!

Today was the day for Princess Bear (PB) to go to the hospital for her renal sonogram and blood work.  She was thrilled that she was going to get to sleep in.  It kinda worked for me too!  So what woke me up at 6am other than my daughter blaring in Disney Princess CD doing her best karaoke.  I'm working on yet another sinus infection and woke up with a raging headache.  Gotta say the Disney music didn't help!  I finally conveyed to PB that mommy's head really hurt and we had a couple of hours before she had to be at the hospital.  I told her she could play her music just not blast it.  I know.  I know.  I'm the mean mom.  Mason loves telling me that.  I did try explaining that mommy with a bad headache wasn't a happy mommy and she really didn't want to make it worse.  It seems as though sleep wasn't meant to happen because the phone started ringing with regularity at 7am.  WTF???? 

So we got ready and arrived at the hospital admitting desk at 9:15am as scheduled.  There was a line from hell and only one person helping check people in.  Seriously????  After waiting for 10 or 15 minutes it's finally our turn and I'm hoping that it's just a matter of giving PB's name and signing paperwork since I did preregistration last week.  Oh no!  Please go to the Ultrasound department and check in there.  Now I'll be the first to admit that my head hurt like he$$ and I was in a bad mood.  It didn't explain why the lady at the ultrasound check in felt like being a royal beeeotch!  PB is finally checked in and I break down and by a soda hoping that caffeine will help the headache.  We wait in the kids waiting room so at least there was something for PB to watch on TV.  For this particular sonogram the Dr. said absolutely no food or fluids after midnight.  Well, I wasn't keeping my child up until midnight just so she could fill up so it wound up being no food or water from 9:45pm on.  Our check in time at the hospital was 9:15am.  They didn't call PB back for her sonogram until a bit after 10am.  The tech didn't even get into the room until 10:15am.  I was very proud of my child for how well she was keeping it together.  I assured the tech that I wouldn't sue her, steal her firstborn or anything else but just asked her if everything looked ok and she assured me it did.  Yay!!!!!  Then it was off to my mom's office to meet her for lunch.  I also had to apply the emla cream to PBs arms so we could do the blood work after she ate.  Nothing like trying to stick a vein in a child that hasn't eaten in more than 12 hours.  At lunch my mom and I pushed almost 60 ounces of water into her.  Thankfully it worked relatively well.  Her blood test wasn't pain free but not awful so I'm thankful for that. 

Now the  waiting game for results starts.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed and uttering lots of prayers that the blood work does not show any signs of inflammation or juvenile arthritis.  I don't like that my baby is in pain on a very regular basis but I'm not wanting that to be the news we get.  Since the tech said her kidneys look fine I'm sure that we're going to have to do more testing but I'm not as worried since there was no sign of kidney stones.  It's days like this that my child truly amazes me with her inner strength.  She just rolls with life and keeps a smile on her face.  What an amazing kid!

No comments: